Tuesday, November 22, 2011
To Draft or Not to Draft-That is the question by Pat McStay
The MLS expansion draft is like picking your fantasy draft starting in round 12. All the great players are protected, so who is the best of the worst. These players might have salary issues, are too old, are young, were not productive this year, have off the field problems, or just might not be good enough to be in their clubs’ top 11. If I am Montreal management, I would choose players based on what I call my ‘Core Characteristics’-experience, youth, or the future. Choosing players in the draft to then leverage them for other, potentially better players, is genius. Portland did it with Dax McCarty who eventually went to DC United for Rodney Wallace and cash. I think these core characteristics have to be the basis behind drafting as an expansion club.
Here are my 10 players I think Montreal should draft-
1. Chad Barrett-injured but due to start for LA in MLS Cup final, scored 7 goals this year
2. Sal Sizzo-started 12 out of last 15 games this season for Portland playing in 30 total-has represented USA on almost every level and played for Hannover 96 in Bundesliga.
3. Jeff Cunningham-MLS All Time leading goalscorer and in National Team training camp as late as last year
4. Andres Mendoza-Peruvian who was 4th in goalscoring in MLS with 13 this past season
5. Omar Bravo-tied as Sporting KC leading goalscorer last year with 9
6. Adin Brown-GK for Portland. Did not see much playing time but has a wealth of experience in MLS and overseas. Took Revolution to MLS Cup Final.
7. Bobby Convey-2010 MLS Comeback player of the Year and played 110 games with Reading FC in England
8.Stefani Miglioranzi-played in 43 games for the Union in the last two seasons. Has had some injuries in the past but can do a job.
9. Joe Cannon-GK has started 305 of 306 games in his career. Approaching the end of it I imagine but is still just 35 years old. Helped San Jose win MLS Cup in 2001.
10. Tyson Wahl-started 22 of 23 games he played in this year as a center back for Seattle.
I will be interested to see if anyone from my list actually gets drafted by Montreal. If Montreal management is as smart as I want them to be, I will bat .400.